Extra-legroom seat request
What is extra-legroom seat?
Extra-legroom seat refers to a seat which has significantly more legroom than other seats in normal Economy Cabin. It offers more personal space when you fly. Extra legroom seats in Economy Class can be purchased for an additional charge.
Extra-legroom seat charge per sector:
Flights between Hong Kong and South West Pacific, North America, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and the South Asian sub-continent.
Flights between all other the destinations not listed above.
Characteristics of an extra-legroom seat
- Extra-Legroom Seats are offered in Economy Class.
- It has at least 50% extra seat pitch compared with the other seats in the Economy cabin.
- Most of the Extra-legroom Seats are located near the emergency exit doors*
- Passenger can stretch both legs in front of them when seated
- The arm-rests between the Extra-legroom Seats cannot be retracted because meal-trays are stowed in the arm-rest section.
* Extra-Legroom Seats located at the emergency exit doors are subject to the flight safety guidelines from Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department (HK CAD). Please refer to General Rules and Conditions - Safety Requirements for details.
Applicable routes and pricing
|Airline||Long haul flights between:||Short haul flights between:|
Hong Kong (HKG) and South West Pacific, North America, Europe, Middle East, Africa and South Asian sub-continent
All other destinations
Hong Kong (HKG) and Bengaluru (BLR), Kolkata (CCU), Dhaka (DAC) and Kathmandu (KTM)
Hong Kong (HKG) and Mainland China, and all other destinations
Identify extra-legroom seat from different GDS seatmap display
Extra-legroom seat is shown on seatmaps in Amadeus GDS
Extra-legroom seat is shown on seatmaps in Abacus GDS
Seat characteristic in different GDS
It provides real time information related to the aircraft seat characteristics.
Seat characteristic is shown on seatmaps in Amadeus GDS
Seat characteristic is shown on seatmaps in Abacus GDS
Automated pricing solution has been available in all GDS
Automated pricing solution in Amadeus GDS
Automated pricing solution in Abacus GDS
Ancillary service time limit
Ancillary service time limit offers instant notifications to travel agency once the service is requested, in addition to the existing ticket time limit (ADTK). It calculates and applies a real time limit to ancillary service for BSP EMD-A issuance, and cancels the service itself when the time limit is reached.
Extra-legroom seats are subject to availability and offered on a first come, first served basis. In order to secure the Extra-legroom seat reservation, a BSP EMD-A should be issued prior to ancillary service time limit, and an ETKT must be presented in advance or at the same time of EMD-A issuance.
Ancillary service time limit in Amadeus GDS
Ancillary service time limit in Abacus GDS
General rules and conditions
Extra Legroom Seat is located in Economy Cabin.
Passengers who are meet the safety requirements (please refer 2. Safety requirements for details).
For free-of-charge benefits to eligible FFP members or redeem a seat with your Asia Miles, please always requested seat reservation with Airline Office.
2. Safety Requirements
Extra-Legroom Seats located near the emergency exit doors are subject to the flight safety guidelines from the Civil Aviation Department (CAD) of Hong Kong.
A passenger may be assigned an extra-legroom seat if he/she meets the following safety requirements, and will not obstruct emergency exits in a way of impeding the crew in their duties, obstructing access to emergency equipment, or hindering aircraft evacuation.
Passengers occupying an extra legroom seat must:
- Be at least 12 years of age at the commencement of the journey;
- Be able to understand and carry out safety instructions in English or Chinese;
- Be able to promptly reach, lift and throw open the exit door in an emergency;
- Not be a passenger travelling as Unaccompanied Minor (UMNR);
- Not be frail;
- Not be a passenger with any permanent or temporary disability, including a passenger travelling with a service dog, using portable oxygen or requiring the use of medical equipment on board;
- Not be seated with an infant;
- Not be under the influence of intoxicating substance;
- Not be travelling with someone who requires assistance in an emergency;
- Not require the use of an extension seat belt.
If a passenger does not fulfil the above safety requirements, passenger may be re-assigned to a regular Economy seat before or during the journey without refunding of the extra-legroom seat reservation fees.
3. Ancillary Service Time Limit
Ancillary service time limit offers instant notifications to travel agency once the service is requested, in addition to the existing ticket time limit (ADTK).
Ancillary service time limit is introduced to our first Ancillary service Extra-Legroom Seat distributed to travel agency, It calculates and applies a real time limit to ancillary service for BSP EMD-A issuance, and cancels the service itself when the time limit is reached.
Extra-legroom seats are subject to availability and offered on a first come, first served basis. In order to secure the Extra-Legroom Seat reservation, a BSP EMD-A should be issued prior to ancillary service time limit, and an ETKT must be presented in advance or at the same time of EMD-A issuance.
Note: For passengers travelling with companion, who are not seated in Extra-Legroom Seat, please assign their seats separately. Otherwise both seats on that single SSR RQST will be cancelled when the time limit is reached.
4. Voluntary Seat Change
Voluntary change of extra-legroom seat is allowed provided:
- Seat is available on the same flight or to a different flight/date between CX & KA;
- Additional charge or refund will be involved when change of Extra-Legroom Seat between short haul and long haul destinations or v.v..
5. Involuntary Seat Change
In involuntary cases, re-seat of extra legroom seat to any other CX/KA flights is possible. If the extra legroom seat is not available or the customer is protected to another airline, the extra-legroom seat is always refundable.
Extra Legroom Seat is a non-refundable paid service except in the following situations:
- Customers who have already paid for an Extra-Legroom Seat and wish to pay for an upgrade to a higher class afterwards (i.e. voluntary upgrade including redemption upgrade);
- Customers who have already paid for an Extra-Legroom Seat and wish to rebook onto another flight with no Extra-Legroom Seat available;
- Involuntary circumstances which result in Extra-Legroom Seat being unavailable, such as: Aircraft Equipment Change (AEC), flight cancellation, disruption and misconnections to/from CX or KA flights.
7. Refund Procedure
A BSP Refundable Application Form (RAA) from BSPLink shall be submitted to the Airline office with evidence provided when '6. Refund' circumstances met.
Extra legroom seat must be removed from the customer record right before refunding of BSP EMD-A.
The BSP EMD-A must be disassociated from ETKT to avoid the coupon being lifted with ETKT, otherwise the BSP EMD-A with final status codes are irreversible and prohibit any further actions to be taken.
8. Questions and Answers
How much does Extra-Legroom Seat cost?
Automated price based on ATPCO filing with all applicable service taxes is available. (Please refer P.3 'applicable routes & price')
Any commission to travel agency?
Extra Legroom Seat is non-commissable.
Are Extra-Legroom Seats transferable to other passengers?
Extra Legroom Seat is non-transferrable.
Could I void the BSP EMD-A for Extra-Legroom Seat?
Alike ETKT, only the issuing office can void BSP EMD-A on the same calendar day of issuance and before closure of sales. And the Extra Legroom Seat must be removed from the customer record right after the BSP EMD-A is voided.
How to compute the Ancillary Service Time Limit?
The service time limit will be 24-hours after the service is reserved or 1-hour prior to departure, whichever is earlier. And it is subject to change without prior notice.
My customer has purchased Extra-Legroom Seat for his outbound journey. Can he use it for the inbound journey instead?
The BSP EMD-A must have the same route as the associated ETKT. If your customer would like to change it to a different route, please exchange/reissue the BSP EMD-A and re-associate it with ETKT.
My customer has purchased Extra-Legroom Seat for HKG-PVG on CX. He wishes to change to a HKG-PVG flight on KA instead. Can he transfer the BSP EMD-A from the CX flight to KA flight?
The BSP EMD-A must have the same carrier as the associated ETKT. If your customer would like to change from a CX to KA flight please exchange/reissue the BSP EMD-A and re-associate it with ETKT.
My customer would like to change from an Extra Legroom Seat to another Extra Legroom Seat, how should I proceed?
Whenever the seat is available, you can proceed the seat change in their agency system without the need of exchange/reissue BSP EMD-A.
My customer has purchased Extra-Legroom Seat for both his outbound and inbound flights, issued on the same ETKT and BSP EMD-A. Later on, he changed his inbound flight and partial reissue ETKT. In this case, should I reissue the BSP EMD-A as well?
Currently we do not support a single BSP EMD-A to be associated with multiple ETKTs, you will be required to re-issue the BSP EMD- A and re-associate it to the new ETKT.
Note: We are currently working on system enhancement to enable multiple ETKT associations on a single BSP EMD-A. You will be notified once this feature is enabled.